Sunday 27 October 2013

US Secret Service and Sacrificial Living

Romans 5: 7-8 "We can understand someone dying for a person worth dying for, and we can understand how someone good and noble could inspire us to selfless sacrifice. But God put his love on the line for us by offering his Son in sacrificial death while we were of no use whatever to him."  (The Message Version)

May seem an odd topic to have pondered over the last few days, but I watched a documentary on the US Secret Service who are trained and willing to die for the US President.  That made me wonder who I would be willing to put my life on the line for:  my sons, my grandchildren, my niece and her children, Pope Francis and the current Dalai Lama. It's a fairly small circle in comparison to the 6 billion people in the world. I wish it was larger. I am grateful it's not a list of 0, but it does let me see that I have major room to grow as a Christian.

Although the circle is small of who I would die for; I'm more than willing to use this "earth suit" to help others after my demise. One of my disappointments is when I die that my organs can't be donated to save other lives; neither can my body go to science to train young people to become MDs; nor have I ever been able to donate blood. I have found an organization in the US who will accept my brain as a donation to help learn about brain injuries for athletes who need them so badly they aren't picky! ;)  I am grateful for that.

1 John 3.16 says, "Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren."

I want to learn to live more sacrificially; but I don't have a 21st century model of how that looks for an older woman in frail health.  It will be an adventure, I'm sure. God loves to keep life moving forward and adding excitement.






No comments:

Post a Comment