Wednesday 18 February 2015

Lenten Quiet Day - Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Last week my parish had a Lenten Quiet Day. I didn't put my thoughts on the blog, but I had written them down, so am putting them here now. 
 
Much different then previous years and it was challenging but good.  Historically we’d have Eucharist and then little 10-15 minute meditations with instructions what to write about for the next 30-45 minutes until the next little meditation.  This time we started with reading of the gospel for Lent Sunday 1  (Mark 1:12-15)  about Jesus’ 40 days in the wilderness. As customary, we’re to pick a word of a phrase that stood out to us.  I picked “Repent and Believe” and could sense my inner Pharisee, wringing her hands in glee, and loving that choice that could pull me back into sorting through all my areas of missing the mark and making sure I repented and changed.  Dualism at it’s finest. ; – )  I asked God for a different phrase when the gospel was read the second time. No, I sensed I was to stick with it.  So I did. 40 minutes for meditation/contemplation. I did fairly well watching my thoughts go by rather than thinking my thoughts. Then the Communion and then no instructions except to try to spend the rest of the day with our word or phrase – not for head knowledge but for heart opening.  That nobody would say anything if we read or wrote; but we wee encouraged to try. Whoa!  I am accustomed to letting my brain entertain myself and trying to go 4 hours without mental meanderings really felt like being in the desert... uncomfortable, barren, a bit frightening.
 
A few times I discerned to stick with a thought but most of them I acknowledged and let go.  Here’s the few that were my tutors on de-legalizing that phrase:
(1)  Repent is not just do a 180; but mostly to be aware
(2)  Believe is not the same as behave
(3)  Repent and believe is not childhood echoes of “Deborah Dianne, stop that this instant and behave.”
(4)  Repent and believe is currently more “be aware so you can be transformed”.
 
It was meaningful. I have that peaceful, drowsy, cocooned feeling that comes from hanging out with God; plus my mind is more cooperative because it got a few tidbits to chew over.

No comments:

Post a Comment