Friday 1 February 2013

"Chasing Francis" - Part 6 - The Ending

p. 189 - If Jesus or Francis were in my shoes, who would they ask to stand with them in the crucible?  Wouldn't it be a tarnished, limping lover of God like Maggie?  Wouldn't they chose the foolish to reach the wise?  it was lunacy, but there was also something poetic about it. 
Yeah, like Mary of Bethany....   Somebody who was forgiven much so she could love much. Zacchaeus the height-challenged tax collector. Who but God can bring people back to feeling valued, cherished and important? 

p. 190 - Years ago in Silesia, they built pulpits in the shape of a whale standing on its tail. In order to get to the dais, the pastor climbed a ladder through the whale's body until he emerged in the opening that represented its month, and from there he'd preach his sermon.  The implication was that a pastor didn't have the right to preach until he'd spent some time wrestling with God, like Jonah did. 
Although young, my pastor has spent time in the crucible and it shows in his ability to listen and to give spiritual direction. I'm blessed God chose Resurrection for my home faith community.

That paragraph also reminded me that my children's paternal grandfather who attended church under Pastor Aimee Semple McPherson (founder of the 4-Square denomination). He told about a time she had a life-sized whale made and she preached from the mouth of the whale. Apparently she had quite a dramatic bent and probably fit in quite well at her founding church, Angelus Temple in Los Angeles. I can't imagine how exciting that would have been for a young child back before television and with the depression no money for movies.

p. 195 - Francis taught me that if we spent less time worrying about how to share our faith with someone on an airplane and more time thinking about how to live radically generous lives, more people would start taking our message seriously. 
I liked this because it helped me see "generous" as much greater then financial giving. Yes, financial generosity is a wonderful foundation; but there are so many other areas of life to grow into generosity. That makes me think of John the Baptist's quote, "He must increase and I must decrease."  That incremental growth from being a hoarder to being generous... whether that is financial giving, giving of time, talents, patience, kindness, gentleness, etc.

p. 196 - Sometimes when I read Christian magazines or hear Christian leaders, it's downright scary. Liberals scream at conservatives, Republicans yell at Democrats, evangelicals berate revisionists, fundamentalists rail at everybody. It's like 'talk radio' Christianity--everyone believes they own the Truth and have a God given mandate to shove it down others' throats. I admit it,... I've even encouraged this kind of 'us versus them' spirit around here. I've even preached it, and I was wrong. Sure, we can disagree with others and sometimes we should--but whatever happened to gentleness and respect? 
Been there, done that. I look back at horror and wonder how I could have even called myself a Christian when I was doing that.  Maybe that's why the saying, "The Christian Church is the only army who kills its wounded" speaks to me deeply.  I would be on both sides - in the morgue and in the electric chair.  I thank God He is bringing me out of that mind set.

I think of these quotes from respected leaders of other religions:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi 

"Of all religions, Christianity is without a doubt the one that should inspire tolerance most, although, up to now, the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men."  -  Dalai Lama 


These quotes make me think how my Christian walk is viewed by others. Do I represent Christ well? Do I show the fruit of the spirit to all?  Do I show sacrificial giving to all?  Am I judgmental? Do I see "me verses you" in my approach to communication and relationships?  Am I egalitarian or elitist? Do I live solitary or with solidarity? Do I put people on a ladder and look up to some and down on others?  Some of those questions pinch more then new shoes.

p. 197 - When the church first began, it was a pacifistic movement, known for its outspoken criticism of any form of bloodshed or violence.  After Constantine legalized Christianity, "just war" theory emerged, which meant that Christians could participate in wars if certain criteria were satisfied.  By the year 1200, Christians were launching crusades and telling the faithful that killing Muslims would secure them a spot in heaven! What happened?  Somewhere along the way we forgot that Jesus intended the Sermon on the Mount to be an actual, concrete program for living. He wanted us to actually life it, not just admire it as a nice but unrealistic ideal. I mean, what would happen if Christians dedicated themselves to peacemaking with the same discipline and focus that armies do for war?  What difference could it make?  We have to revisit the early church's teaching about reconciliation, peacemaking and the Sermon on the Mount and ask ourselves if we're living them out or tiptoeing around them.

This is a somewhat new concept for me. Having spent 2 years in active duty US Army and 1 year in National Guard, it is an area where I may want to study and learn.  Part of me grasps the concept of pacifism and wants to run with it; part of me is just the opposite because of my military background and the children's father being retired military.

One thing that comes to mind as I read that paragraph: I got a chuckle from my priest at my last spiritual direction meeting when I said, "When I grow up I want to be a Jewish Quaker."  The little I've read about Quakers, I love their peacemaking and how they have been the leaders for many major movements and legislative changes: absolution of US slavery, women's rights, humane treatment of prisoners and insane, and the list goes on. I have a wonderful friend who was raised as a plain-clothed Quaker, trained in meditation and contemplation since childhood, and her generous spirit to all, along with her proactive pacifism, her ability to mirror dignity to others, her intelligence and wisdom have made a major impression on me. Thank you, my friend.

Although not well versed in history, even church history, the couple of things I know about Christians and war - the Crusades and the witch hunts; are enough to nauseate me. Jesus said to love our enemies; I can't think of one place where he said to kill, maim, shame or degrade them.

I agree with the author; just not sure what impact that will have on my life and how I practice my Christian faith. But I trust God to lead me.

p. 197 - I learned in Italy that Christians are called to urge their leaders to be peacemakers, too. This is one reason the church has to guard against holding up one political party as 'the Christian party." History has proven that over-identifying with one party is a recipe for disaster. If we get too cozy with one group, we'll lose our ability to criticize them prophetically if they go off the rails. 
I think that is true for more then political parties. I see that in denominations and even non-denominational groups. In my opinion, my identity is "Christ in me; and me in Christ" and how best to walk that out. Yet, I also love the faith tradition of the Anglican (Episcopalian or Church of England) Church.

p. 199 - We're all broken people who've lost our dignity, in one way or another. Francis whole life was a about giving people their dignity back--poor people, lepers, people who were despised and rejected by society--the very people Jesus sought out to minister to. His commitment to restoring people's sense of their God-given value thrilled the hearts of cynics who had all but given up on believing that the gospel was good news to anyone.  
I've had a few people like that in my life - who came along side me and mirrored the value they saw in me in such a way I could accept it and start to apply it to my life. I want to expand to allow God to use me to do that for others.  Yet, if you'd ask me if I have self-esteem; my answer would be "No, I have God-esteem."  My self-esteem is like Humpty Dumpty - who couldn't get put back together again. So God gave Christ to live in me and be my God-esteem to replace my broken, tattered, bedraggled, fractured, irrepairable self-esteem. God-esteem is awesome.

p. 201 I thought of the Bible not as a story but as a black-and-white photograph, something you could use in a court of law to prove that our doctrines and propositions were rational and true. Talk about trivializing and holding back the beauty of the Bible! Now I see the Story more like a painting filled with glory, poetry and even blurry lines. Paints are trickier than photos. They're open to a wide variety of interpretation, depending on who's looking at them and the situations those viewers live in. Seeing the Bible this way could lead to things getting messy from time to time--but the Word is living, not static. Our job is to invite people to inhabit our story, to be part of what God's doing in history. And we don't need to feel constant pressure to defend it against its critics.  Truth doesn't need defending.  It is its own witness. 
That struck home with me. For years I would even say that that the Bible was my "law book" and I'd look for what I wanted and then pester God until he gave it to me; and if He didn't then I'd get the blues and feel like a worthless, faith-empty servant and presume His Word didn't work.

I love the way I am learning to view the Bible. As God's story and since we're all one in Him, then it's my story and your story, too.  As I live my story in Him and as I deeper understand His story of the Bible, the more they mirror each other and the more I see others living in that story - even when we're not homogenous. I like the universality of it being "our story in God" rather then "my story" and "your story" that separates and divides.

I like the last two (short) sentences; that Truth is it's own witness. Now when a person talks about their view and interpretation of Scripture; I can listen with an open mind. I may have 180 degree different interpretation; however, I've learned if I stay open to hear, they usually will stay open to listen to my story. I know I don't know it all - I only know through a glass darkly; so maybe what they see is something God will show me and they are preparing the way... or maybe God is using me to prepare the way for them.  I can smile and think to myself, "She's not where I am and I'm not where she is on our journey; and I'm okay with that because the Holy Spirit is the one who is to complete and perfect the work of Christ in us."  Thank you, Jesus, for showing me that it's not my job - but yours to grow people; so I can let it go and do what I'm called to do in the Great Commandment:  love God and love others.


No comments:

Post a Comment