Monday 21 January 2013

Becoming Franciscian

January 21, 2013 -

I am starting this journal as a way to track my progress into possibly becoming a member of TSSF - Tertiary (Third Order) Society of St. Francis. Their web page is http://www.tssf.org   This is not a calling to shave my head, put on a habit and join a nunnery; but a calling to live a deeper spiritual life in the world.  I love the idea of learning to live simply - and the main place that needs to be worked out for me is living a simple life in my thoughts and then it will spill over into the busy-ness of daily life.... that means growing in the mystical or contemplative life that has been part of the Jewish-Christian tradition since the Kabbalah for certain and almost certainly prior. The term mystic is a more modern word replacing the Biblical word apokalypsis - or events that transformed a person to become more Christlike. It isn't magical but mystical - as humans we can't understand how God performs transformations within us; we just accept the truth of the unknown God working in us.

As I take this journey and learn more about becoming a Franciscian, I'm sure my motive and goals will change; in fact I hope I discover deeper motives and great growth through this new step of faith. I want to wrestle with new concepts and scriptures and grow and develop as I die to self and put on Christ.   That's why I named this blog "Find Encouragement in Each Other's Faith" from Romans 1:12. I want to grow in not only my local circle of Christian friends, my local parish, my diocese, but to grow to become more aware of the worldwide church and the worldwide community and my part and affinity of that global community; I hope that my faith may encourage others' growth and greater participation in their relationship with God.

Part of me feels a bit awkward wanting to become a Franciscian since my local parish practices Benedictine spirituality and my spiritual director and example of spiritual maturity in many areas is my parish priest and rector, Fr. Gerald Westcott. I like the idea of Benedictine hospitality and I want to grow in the service of hospitality to others.  Yet, my youngest son was named after Rev. Dr. Justin Der, who is a Roman Catholic Capuchin Franciscan and because of that, I feel an affinity for the Franciscan faith tradition.  I have found a lot of growth through the teaching of Rev. Dr. Richard Rohr, who is Roman Catholic Franciscan - from my home state of Kansas.  Yet there is a bigger part of me that finds nature a "thin place" where God's presence touches me with such depth and meaning; I want to develop that part of me, I want to develop a more intimate relationship with my God. I want to learn how to grow in protecting and nurturing my planet as I learn how God protects and nurtures me.... I think those will grow together. In a few days, I may share how God plopped that desire to grow in ecology within me and why it is important to me.

At the start, I have no idea where this journey and journal may take me. I may discover I am called to Franciscan spirituality. I may discover I am called to Benediction. I may discover I am called to no order. No matter what the outcome, I am very excited about the journey.... the journey is as precious as the destination - which is still a vague unknown at this phase of the journey. I may not even recognize the destination when I arrive - but I'm sure another adventure with God awaits when/if that happens. I can say, "It is well with my soul."  Knowing, not knowing, wanting, striving, letting go - it is all good. I am blessed.  I am loved.

I'd always equated the word "consolation" with booby prize - a joke award given to the worst performer. After reading the mystics, they often talk about the consolation of Christ. Now the term consolation has taken on a more accurate meaning; the meaning of being comforted.  Yes, Christ is my comfort; thus my consolation. Some people may see me as His booby prize, but I know He sees me as His beloved.

I know one thing: God is holding my hand and we're headed on this new adventure together. If you could see me, you'd see a combination of peace, excitement and joy as I step into this next phase of my spiritual growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment