Thursday 24 January 2013

Celebrating Rememberances of Dad

After a couple of weeks of re-processing the death and grief of my Dad's death, I wrote this Sunday night in celebration of the anniversary of his passing.
_____________________

At 10:15 am Central Standard Time, on Sunday, January 20, 1963, my Dad died. I was 12. My sister and I came home from Sunday School (he hadn't felt well enough to go to church - which was rare we didn't attend as a family); he hollered "Mama" and breathed his last. That was before dial phones in our town, so mom had me ring O for operator and she gets the doctor, the mortician and the pastor at our house. In 1957, Dad had underwent two experimental open heart surgeries for his rheumatic heart disease that added five and a half more years to his life. I remember hugging him and having to be careful where I hugged because they didn't get his ribs wired back together properly and if I'd squeeze in one place, the wire that held him together would puncture the skin from the inside and cause him pain. I remember the daily Quinine he took because of the malaria he got from tainted blood.

He was born in 1916 the next year John F. Kennedy was born; they died the same year (1963). I remember feeling sad there was so much national television about his death and burial. I thought my Dad was just as special and yet family showed up and the town stood behind us but no tv cameras or even radio announcers. Walter Cronkite didn't even mention Dad. Now I can be grateful we could grieve more naturally without having to put on the proper performance for the media.

Now from my advancing age and diminishing health, I can put his death into a different context and count my blessings. Knowing he was dying had catapulted him into what Father Richard Rohr would call the second half of life. The first half is building the container (material wealth, belongings, community, education, job, etc.) and the second half is letting go of those things because they aren't eternal; then filling the container we built in the first half of life with spiritual wealth that goes with us when we die. Dad was one of the most spiritual and holy men I knew/know. He came to faith on my birth day; when the doctors said his wife and unborn baby would die - he went to God. He told God that if God would let his wife and baby live that he'd find out who Jesus was and follow him. God answered that prayer and Dad was loyal to follow his vow.

I loved the bedtime ritual I grew up with. From as far back as I can remember until Dad went home to Jesus, I can't remember a day when Dad didn't read us a story about nature and talk about the goodness of God in the visible world. I love Psalms 19 because it is such a beautiful depiction of seeing God in the first Bible - the planet we live on. Then we'd read a Bible story and talk about it and how to apply it to our lives at a level we could understand. Then we'd all four kneel beside the bed and say our prayers. If we were camping, we'd lay under the stars and Dad would tell us their names and talk about how big God was to have created all of that and to maintain it.

Before his heart surgery, Dad left a letter and it was a reminder to love God and love each other and grow in faith so we could meet in heaven. I was 25 before I came to the conclusion that Jesus was the path for me. I remember the night before Dad went to the hospital that he prayed with tears and no words. As a parent, I stand amazed at his spiritual strength to have faced that time of walking out the door, leaving his children with his brother, sister-in-law and their daughters not knowing if he'd ever see us again but knowing the odds were great he would die in the surgery. I understand that in part because I feel that way each time I tell my two sons and nine precious grandchildren bye-bye and know it will be at least a year before I see them again.

Yet, like Dad, there is such a blessing of knowing this "earth suit" isn't going to last forever and to find ways to become a better friend of God with the limited health and resources I have. To wake up in the morning grateful and joyful for another day. To learn new ways to truly have great joy in the "dying before I die" - what Apostle Paul calls "dying to self." As I release the material things, the fame (or lack thereof), the goals, the ambitions, the relationship with my sons, and just sit with "what is" and remember the Bible says in Romans 8:28 "All things work together for good...." ALL things. ALL things. ALL things. My mind goes crazy wondering how some of the things that have happened in my life could possibly be part of that ALL things promise. Yet, I know each hard thing I go through, develops a greater trust in God and helps me grow as a person.

My two unborn babies and the second baby's daddy waiting in heaven, my Dad and four grandparents waiting for me, friends who have gone before are walking on streets of gold with party hats or halos on anticipating my homecoming.

I remember Grandmother always had a Bible by her "crochet chair" and would stop and read at times - even when we were there. I was such a brat she obviously needed the wisdom there to tolerate my few hours (just kidding - she had the patience of the saint she was/is). I've watched my mother over the past few decades move into the second half of life and spend time learning more of God. The times she'll feel almost angry at God that she is still here when her desire is to be in heaven with Him and her loved ones; and her wondering why life is that way then returning to acceptance of "what is".

Just like there is a spark of the flame of God's life that can be fanned to flame in each person; we each carry the seed of death - that Jesus said has to be planted, lay dormant, then becomes the bodily resurrection. Aaah, that gives such beautiful purpose to death. The death that will be swallowed up in victory.

I think of the parallels between death and birth. I remember at first wondering if I'd conceived and after so many weeks the doctor had me pee in a cup and a few days later I got the results (so different now). Then was the time of knowing but not feeling pregnant. Then the middle trimester when I knew I was pregnant and preparing for the big event. Then was the last trimester when I was uncomfortable and I'm sure my unborn babies were getting crowded and uncomfortable. Then was the labour and delivery and the joy of this new person laying on my tummy and crying. Death is similar. First is the not knowing where there are symptoms and you can't quite put your finger on what's wrong but you know something is. Then the middle trimester where you know and grow. Then the last trimester where the unknown and the known collide; where you do the heavy work of coming to acceptance (if it wasn't done prior to this later stage). Eventually hospice will be similar to labour. I remember praying before the boys were born that I wouldn't lose my dignity and scream or curse in pain - but as I got to that point, I really didn't care - the important part was giving birth. As my life ends, my prayer is dignity that I won't act foolish or let the pain or fear of pain do my talking or thinking. At the end, I'm born into eternal life with my new glorified body. Oh, what a wonderful example the loving Father left for us. Maybe women have it easier because of their experiences. Maybe that's why men go to war - to learn the lesson in a way that touches their male spirituality with the same lesson.

I love the story behind the hymn "It is well with my soul" by Horatio Spafford. ( a url with the story is http://www.biblestudycharts.com/A_Daily_Hymn.html ) I couldn't say it any better then this man did. It is well with my soul. Happy "what is." It's all joy: being alive on earth or fully alive in heaven is an amazing gift from Abba YHWH. Knowing things are destined to get better and better is such a consolation and comfort. I am in the path of total acceptance of what my Almighty Heavenly Father is doing in my life. My faith has never been stronger. My joy has never been more complete. Legalism has been left behind and I have moved to the freedom of being in Christ knowing Christ is in me and that's the Hope of Glory. "It is well with my soul." The "Happy what is...." It is more then well with my soul - all of me is full of joy. I think one night when I was sleeping, God pulled up with a 250 tonne Komatzu haulage truck full of joy and duped it on me. I have no logical reason to be so joyful but I can't stop having joy - I may have a few down hours each month (full and dark of moon) and then it's right back to being so joyful I could hardly sit still in church because I wanted to dance around holding my lovely Saviour and rejoice because I am "in Him" and He is "in me."

Today, on the 50th anniversary of Dad's homegoing. I celebrated his life, my expanding understanding of death, my joyful reprocessing of his passing over the past week or two, the beauty of the Eucharist, the communion of saints (those on earth and those in heaven) and my greater understanding of my future death and especially feeling the joy that Christ showed us how to live above life's situation while trusting God implicitly (not trusting Bible verses taken out of context but trusting the One I love and Who loves me so much He died to show me both how to live and how to die). With joy I celebrated eternal life today. With elation I celebrated Sophia, the wisdom of God. I am so very grateful for the beautiful gift of faith and a family heritage of faith that I have been blessed with.

It is well with my soul. Nah, It is JOYFUL with my soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment